Friday, January 11, 2008

HoppinTots & Haircut #2

Today was a lot of fun. It's been a very fun, activity filled week. We've been a lot of cool places, and tried out new activities and revisited some of our old favorites.

But today, we tried something totally new. I found this place in one of the local parenting magazines that is on Falls Road. It was called HoppinTots Gym. Which is Gymboree on steroids, it's a mini gymnastics studio for toddlers. We went for Open Gym, where it's just free play for the kids to run and play on the equipment without the structure of a class. I wish it was closer to our house, because I'd love to go there for a mommy & me class. We had a blast. Owen loved the obstacle course, and climbing around the mats.
They had a foam pit, a trampoline, a set of uneven bars, and lots of mats, bridge to climb on, balance beams. It was great. We went with Sofia and her Mommy Robyn. They also had a lot of fun, Sofia just had a blast on the trampoline, She would stand with her Mommy and they would bounce together and Sofia laughed hysterically. Owen liked but didn't love the tramp, I think he'd like it better when he can stand on his own, but he did like when I held him and we bounced together.

Owen's favorite was the uneven bars, he had the strength to grip and hang from the bars all on his own. Something I didn't observe any other kids his age doing. In this picture I was holding him a bit, because it was towards the end of the class, but he was hanging all on his own earlier, and he was also laughing and holding at the same time. I was very impressed.

He also really enjoyed the foam pit. Once the big kids cleared out of it, Owen and Sofia climbed in. We built up all the blocks and then Sofia and Owen would knock them down.

Owen also spent a tender moment, stroking Sofia's hair. It was so sweet and adorable, and I know tell he truly cares for her. They both recognize each other and get very excited to spend time together.

On our way home we stopped by to see Granny and say hello. Despite the fact that Owen was exhausted and ready for a nap, he played nicely and showed Granny how he plays peek-a-boo and a few steps on his own. I think Granny was glad to see him.

After a nice nap, we decided to venture out to Bertucci's for dinner. We had been eating at home all week, because we are working with Owen on having more productive mealtimes, and counting less on him "drinking" his meals. We have had a very good week, after a Monday morning call to the pediatrician regarding Owen's eating habits, we found a few techniques from her that really seemed to help us out tremendously.
We began implementing them immediately and almost immediately saw results. Praising him throughout the meal, even just for simple things, like getting something in his mouth or trying something new, that's working very well. We feel a little silly for clapping throughout the meal (especially at a restaurant), but whatever get's your baby to eat!!! Thank goodness we're making improvements, because we have had weeks of very frustrating mealtimes. But I think we've finally changed our outlook and things are much better.

After Bertucci's, we headed to White Marsh Mall for a haircut and a treat. Owen didn't enjoy his haircut, but it went much better than last time. He still cried but it was much less hysterical than last time. He calmed right down, and he looks so cute. I really didn't even realize how long his hair had gotten. We also took a ride on the Merry-Go-Round, and got an Orange Julius for dessert.

What a busy Friday!

No comments: