Yesterday, we went to the doctor for what we thought was a check up from an ear infection 2 weeks ago. However, just before arriving at the doctors Owen started with a fever and a bit lethargic. By the time Owen and I arrived at the doctors, Owen was burning up, and just sat on my lap waiting for our turn. I was concerned that he was coming down with the flu, but fortunately he didn't have the flu (test was negative), but he did have a double ear infection. The doc gave him a stronger antibiotic and prescribed some Benadryl for the nasal congestion to clear it all up. Daddy took the prescription to Target and then he had to go to Richmond for a trade show. But it was very very icy, and he was in the car over 6 hours and didn't make it much farther than Washington DC. So he ended up checking into a hotel down there, and then drove to Richmond today.
Our night wasn't much better here at home. After the doctors, we came home, Owen was so tired he went straight down for a nap. When he woke, his fever started to climb. By bedtime it was 103. I got very worried about that and called the pediatrician. She assured me that Owen would be OK, put him to bed and check on him in an hour. I took his temp an hour later, then continued to keep checking on him. He woke very upset at 11pm, and I brought him downstairs with me and we drank some juice and I gave him the Motrin. Put him back to bed, and then he slept for about 45 min, then cried for an hour. I continued to check on him all night. His fever broke in the early hours of the morning, and continued to be low or normal all day today.
I decided to keep Owen home from school today, so that he could get more of the antibiotics into him and be feeling better before going to school. We spent the entire morning in our PJs, and then Owen took a 2 1/2 hour nap (I wish Mommy would have done the same). We played with so many toys, and he was in very good spirits despite not feeling well. I can tell his ears were bugging him today, and you can also tell that his equilibrium is off, because he wants to walk but he's got more of a swagger/sway and his balance is way off. He even took a nasty tumble in the kitchen right into the corner of the island. But overall we had a nice sick day. I even broke out a toy that was unopened from Christmas and Owen was entertained with it much of the day.I am pleased to report that Owen was much better tonight and seemed to feel much better. I hope he sleeps well tonight and continues to improve tomorrow morning. I also hope that I get more sleep tonight, because I'm exhausted!!! We have his Valentine's Day party at school and I get to play room mother, so we're looking forward to that. Then we have the Gymboree class, so we hope to make both.
No comments:
Post a Comment